August 20, 2026

High Score announces opening date for new Worcester arcade

The leader of Sefton Council has promised to keep pursuing funding opportunities in order to reopen Southport Pier, after a bid for £10m to repair the structure was refused by the National Lottery Heritage Fund.

Marion Atkinson told a council meeting on 27 February that the authority would “apply again when the time is right,” following the NLHF’s decision that the pier project was not something it was “likely to support in its current form.”

Boy, given all the positive media coverage on Southport Pier – much of which in the national media – that must have been one underwhelming application for grant-aid to save Southport Pier?

Atkinson was less focused on the failure and more on the council’s dedication. She said: “[We have done] all within our power to be ready to replace the pier when the money becomes available. We have a plan. We have commitment.”

“Let’s be clear, the bottom line is the need for money, which the council does not have.”

The council secured listed buildings consent for the repairs earlier this year, and has revised its initial funding allocation for the project from £3m to £13m. 

“The project outline submitted was not something The National Lottery Heritage Fund would be likely to support in its current form,” an NLHF spokesperson told the BBC. “We have provided feedback to Sefton Council and have invited them to get in touch with us if they would like to discuss this further.”

Latest News