August 20, 2026

Work begins on new amusement arcade in Bray

Bentley Leisure Ltd has entered the first phase of building a new seafront amusement arcade in Bray, on the east coast of Ireland, one year after plans were approved by An Bord Pleanála.

Proposals to replace the derelict Victorian building on the site were given the green light in February 2024, however work has only just begun on demolishing the “eyesore” to make way for a two-storey FEC complex.

“The building, at 1 Marlborough Terrace, Strand Road, was last home to the popular Campo De Fiori Italian restaurant, which closed in 2019,” reported the Irish Independent. “Permission was then sought in March 2022 for the building to be demolished and replaced with an arcade.”

Though some local objection had been registered regarding the loss of the 164-year-old building, An Bord Pleanala cited the Wicklow County Development Plan 2022-2028 and the Bray Municipal District Local Area Plan 2018-2024, which notes the seafront “shall be promoted as the primary tourist, recreational and leisure centre of Bray.” 

On publishing its decision, the ABP said the new arcade “can contribute to and complement the mix of uses in the area.”

Reporting on the public response, the Irish Independent quoted residents who said the move was “a blessing,” and were grateful that Bentley Leisure is “spending their money on this eyesore.

Latest News