August 20, 2026

Work to begin next year on restoring Southport Pier as Chancellor commits to £20m

The Chancellor has confirmed work will begin to restore Southport Pier next year during a recent visit to the Merseyside resort, confirming the government will invest £20m in the project as part of its Growth Mission Fund.

Rachel Reeves has announced that work to restore Southport’s Grade II-listed pier will begin next year during a visit to the Merseyside town, after confirming the government’s £20m investment as part of the Growth Mission Fund.

With Sefton Council already having secured Listed Building Consent and contracted AE Yates to undertake the project, the Chancellor predicted that the work is likely to be completed within three years.

“Southport Pier is a beloved landmark,” said Reeves. “A national treasure that has been allowed to fall into disrepair, no longer. I’m proud that through our Plan for Change, families across Merseyside should be able to enjoy this wonderful attraction again.”

The promise may be a little premature – there is a ‘subject to’ caveat in the government offer – but Reeves was keen to spread the good news, with much aplomb.

“We know how important this pier is to the local community and to the local economy. It’s part of our Growth Mission Fund to invest in town centres, into local communities to reinvigorate them, to bring renewal to our local areas.”

Sefton Council first closed the pier in 2022, citing safety concerns caused by extreme weather, however the plan to repair the landmark has since suffered a number of setbacks, including lack of funding and fire.

On 31 August, fire crews were called to the attraction after an electrical fault caused one of the pier’s kiosks to catch fire, with the blaze spreading 20 metres before it could be extinguished. Just five days later, an HGC collided with the pier where it intersects with Marine Drive.

According to the BBC, the government’s £20m investment is “subject to a full business case assessment,” but if approved it will allow the council to complete a full restoration of the 165-year-old structure, including those faults created during a previous restoration in 2000.

“Southport Pier holds a special place in the hearts of people across the Liverpool city region and beyond,” said Steve Rotheram, metro mayor for the Liverpool City Region. “Generations of families have walked along it, shared ice creams on it, and made memories that last a lifetime.”

“Its closure has been felt deeply by the whole community, which is why today’s announcement will mean so much to local people.”

The somewhat self-congratulatory words will be met with huge gratitude, albeit mixed with a tiny hint of resentment. None of this hope had been forthcoming in the three years since the pier’s closure – in fact, the livelihood of the pier’s concessionaires has evaporated leaving the likes of the Jamieson family on the financial floor. 

And as good as the news is of government support, by the time the works are finished the pier would have had six years out, and the road to revival is both long and uncertain. 

Seaside economies would struggle if they had one poor season; six will be a major challenge.

And the town of Southport has endured enough.


Reeves on Port’s side

Rachel Reeves said… “We know how important this pier is to the local community and to the local economy. It’s part of our Growth Mission Fund to invest in town centres, into local communities to reinvigorate them, to bring renewal to our local areas…

Latest News