August 20, 2026

Bournemouth Pier repair work to be delayed until 2026

BCP Council has pushed back its scheduled repair of Bournemouth Pier after contractors requested more time to assess the costs of the complex project, which may have to be restricted in scope in order to fall within the £9.5m budget.

BCP Council has announced repair work to Bournemouth Pier initially scheduled to begin late last year will now take place “in the winter of 2025/26,” after the authority was forced to extend the tender window.

The £9.5m project, paid for by the Levelling Up fund, is intended to include replacement of all timber work and major repairs to the structure’s concrete supports, however the full scope of the project is yet to be confirmed.

“The tender for the works at Bournemouth Pier is currently live until the end of July this year as potential expert contractors requested more time because of the complexity of the project,” said a spokesperson for the council. “Work will begin in the winter of 2025/26.” 

The tender asks SMEs to account for full removal of all timber on the pier, as well as the installation of an impressed current cathodic protection system to minimise the effects of corrosion on the concrete legs over the course of the next 25 years.

However, the Bournemouth Echo wrote that due to budget restraints, “BCP Council must now consider three options for the work.”

“Concrete work only – which means not removing timber landing stages – concrete work and removing the northern and small boat timber stages only, or completing all concrete work and completely removing all timber landing stages.”

“The contract says the final option is preferred, but if unaffordable it will consider removing two timber stages. And if that isn’t affordable, it will do just concrete work.”

Latest News