August 20, 2026

“Co-operating with the big banks”: Payment Choice Alliance launches blistering attack on the Treasury over cash policy

There will be no tears shed at the Payment Choice Alliance if, or when, a new Chancellor moves into 11 Downing Street in the coming weeks. In a direct attack on current occupant Rachel Reeves, the group savaged the Treasury’s antipathy to the decline of cash, accusing it of colluding with the “big banks” to move to a cashless system. A “HUGE disappointment” was the most complimentary PCA could muster for the Chancellor as it battles to save cash use.

The Payment Choice Alliance has issued a strongly worded attack on senior Treasury ministers, accusing them of failing to protect cash access and acceptance across Britain.

In a statement, the campaign group said Chancellor Rachel Reeves, Chief Secretary to the Treasury Lucy Rigby, and Economic Secretary Rachel Blake had been a “HUGE disappointment”.

It claimed the ministers had displayed a “shocking lack of understanding of the wishes and needs of the British public in relation to cash access and cash acceptance”.

The alliance also alleged they had been “cooperating with the big banks to try to impose the awful and dangerous ‘cashless’ on the British public”.

Looking ahead, the group said: “The good news? Within two weeks, they will be gone.”

It urged any incoming Treasury ministers to take a different approach to cash policy, while also criticising officials within the department.

According to the alliance, “some of the officials at the Treasury, under this Government and the last, have been very negative about all things cash”.

It added: “These ‘civil servants’ must not be allowed to decide the future of cash.”

Predicting “a number of departures at the Treasury”, the campaign concluded with a defiant message: “WE WILL STILL BE HERE.”


Government slapped down over cash

Payment Choice Alliance said… “The good news? Within two weeks, they will be gone…

Latest News