August 20, 2026

Universal Studios gets the green light for its “multi-billion-pound investment” in Bedford

Sir Keir Starmer has confirmed that Universal Destinations and Experiences will build its first European theme park – and the continent’s largest – in the UK by 2031, after the US operator agreed a multi-billion-pound investment deal with the government that signals “a major vote of confidence in the UK economy.”

Universal Destinations and Experiences is to bring its first European theme park to Bedford after the US company agreed a “multi-billion-pound investment” with the UK government, following years of speculation and several months of official negotiation.

Universal first purchased the former Kempston Hardwick brickworks site in 2023, and has since received an overwhelmingly positive local response to its plans for a 476 acre resort attraction complete with 500-room hotel.

“Today we closed the deal on a multi-billion-pound investment that will see Bedford home to one of the biggest entertainment parks in Europe, firmly putting the county on the global stage,” said PM Keir Starmer.

Such is the import of this particular project,  the welcoming carpet was laid down by none other than the PM himself who was determined to ensure that the Universal investment was stamped with the  government’s seal of approval. He declared: “This is our Plan for Change in action, combining local and national growth with creating around 28,000 new jobs across sectors such as construction, AI, and tourism.”

The first 20,000 jobs will be in construction of the park, while another 8,000 will be employed when it opens in 2031, with 80 percent of those employed in both phases expected to come from the local area. 

The park itself is predicted to generate £55bn for the national economy before 2055, with 8.5 million visitors anticipated in the first year alone.

“Bringing a world-class theme park and resort to the United Kingdom is a tremendous opportunity and is part of our strategy to introduce the Universal brand and experiences to new audiences around the globe,” said Mark Woodbury, chair and CEO of Universal Destinations and Experiences.

“We appreciate the incredible support for our proposed project and look forward to bringing it to life in the years ahead.”

The park project is also backed by Bedford Borough Council, with the central government committing to “a major investment in infrastructure around the site to support the delivery of the project and ensure it is well connected and easily accessible.”

In May last year, Universal Studios welcomed an “overwhelmingly positive response” to the public consultation for its plans, revealing that 92 percent of the 6,000 responses from local residents and business owners were supportive.

Despite the official and public approval, the proposals remain subject to a planning decision from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government. But don’t expect any misplaced opposition here, the government will be desperate to see ground broken as soon as possible – if only local authorities up and down the country were as committed to investment from hospitality and leisure sector businesses.

Latest News