August 20, 2026

Worthing Council backs return of 44-metre Big Wheel

Planning officers at Worthing Borough Council have recommended the authority approves plans for the alluring 44-metre Big Wheel to return to the promenade opposite Montague Place.

The attraction enjoyed a “positive response” during its summer residency last year, and is likely to be reinstalled for a longer period this year.

“It will operate from March to November until 2028, if the plans get the green light,” reported the BBC. “A Worthing Borough Council planning document said the benefits of bringing visitors to the town centre and seafront outweigh the “limited harm” the wheel’s height will have on nearby heritage buildings.”

“The attraction is close to several listing buildings, including the Pier, Lido and those within Montague Place. It will only operate between 10am and 10pm, according to the WBC planning document.”

After the wheel was dismantled in September 2024, the council said “we hope you all enjoyed the feature returning to our coastline.”

“It’s likely that we’ll be looking to build on the positive response to the wheel as we head into 2025. At this stage, we have no set plans and welcome all potential attraction operators to get in touch.”

A final decision on the plans is due to be made this week.

Latest News